The new expansion in the Europa Universalis IV is called the “The Cossacks” which is not only going to focus on the Eastern European Stepp warriors. Besides the obvious focus on the Cossacks the expansion is going to heavily improve diplomatic options both domestic and abroad.
There is a new feature in the expansion called the “estate system” which, if you have played Crusader Kings II another Paradox historical strategy game, is similar to the vassal system feature in Crusader Kings. The etsate system lets you put either nobles, priests, or Cossacks (if you have the correct culture I’m assuming) in charge of a local province. Some more diplomatic options that the expansion brings are “setting a public attitude towards other nations” and select certain provinces or geographic areas as “places of interest”.
Some other general improvements in the expansion are:
- The “Tengri” faith is a Syncretic religion.
- A horde unity factor that can be raised by razing sacking provinces.
- It’s possible to restore a previous culture that was in a province and convert a province to a culture that is not your national culture.
- It is possible to set a colonial policy as a mother nation with colonies. There are three options detailed in the expansion “quick subjugation, peaceful growth or trading advantages”.
- Better espionage which allows for the player to urge factions within a rival nation to declare independence.
The expansion will be released in late 2015 and a new patch will be released after with all the improvements mentioned above even if you didn’t buy the expansion. You can read the full release here and check out the trailer below for more information.